Introduction to Central Nervous System Drugs MCQs
1. Which portion of the limbic system regulates cyclic functions, such as sleeping and waking?
d. Olfactory lobes.
2. Hyperexcitation of which portion of the limbic system is most closely linked to panic attacks?
c. Basal ganglia.
3. Birth control drugs containing estrogens achieve their anovulatory effect in which part of the central nervous system?
a. Cerebral cortex.
b. Brain stem.
c. Spinal cord.
d. Limbic system.
4. Patients taking opioid analgesics are asked to avoid excessive motion to minimize
c. drug tolerance.
d. respiratory depression.
5. Parkinson’s disease is associated with a decrease of dopamine in the
a. brain stem.
b. spinal cord.
c. basal ganglia.
6. Which is a hydrophilic drug that cannot pass the blood-brain barrier alone?
7. Which condition does NOT contribute to a temporary breakdown of the blood-brain barrier?
d. Multiple sclerosis.
8. Which statement about the blood-brain barrier is true?
a. Holes in the blood-brain barrier are nonexistent.
b. The blood-brain barrier is fully developed at birth.
c. The cells of the brain’s capillary system, which are part of the blood-brain barrier, do not have any special modifications.
d. Transporter proteins can move molecules across the blood-brain barrier that otherwise could not cross the blood-brain barrier.
9. Which percentage of frequently prescribed medications act primarily within the central nervous system?