Drug – Diazepam
Diazepam is an anxiolytic, sedative, anticonvulsant, and muscle relaxant.
• It is one of the oldest and most commercially successful Benzodiazepines.
• It is known commercially as Valium and Diazepam, It is available as tablets in concentrations of 2, 5 and 10 mg, and also available as oral solution and injection.
⭕️Michenisum of Aaction
• It potentiates the action of GABA, which is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, resulting in increased neural inhibition and CNS depression, especially in limbic system and reticular formation.
• It is used in management of anxiety disorders, so it can be used in the relief of acute alcohol withdrawal symptoms, and reduction of memory recall, insomnia, treatment of muscle spasms, convulsive disorders and status epilepticus.
• The usual oral dose for adults is 5 to 15 mg/day in 3 divided doses.
• Side effects and precautions.
• Diazepam may cause feeling of inebriation, drowsiness.
• Overdose may lead to: motor control impairment, muscular weakness, hypotension, confusion, lethargy, respiratory depression, coma.
• Examples of these drugs include:
opioid analgesics, neuroleptics (chlorpromazine, haloperidol), antihistamines (chlorpheniramine, promethazine), antidepressants (clomipramine, fluoxetine), phenobarbital.