MCQ Prokaryotic diversity
1. The term prokaryotes refers to which of the following?
a) very small organisms
b) unicellular organisms that have no nucleus
c) multicellular organisms
d) cells that resemble animal cells more than plant cells
2. The term microbiota refers to which of the following?
a) all microorganisms of the same species
b) all of the microorganisms involved in a symbiotic relationship
c) all microorganisms in a certain region of the human body
d) all microorganisms in a certain geographic region
3. Which of the following refers to the type of interaction between two prokaryotic populations in which one population benefits and the other is not affected?
4. Which of the following describes Proteobacteria in domain Bacteria?
5. Which of the following Alphaproteobacteria is the cause of Rocky Mountain spotted fever and typhus?
6. Class Betaproteobacteria includes all but which of the following genera?
7. Haemophilus influenzae is a common cause of which of the following?
c) upper respiratory tract infections
8. Which of the following is the organelle that spirochetes use to propel themselves?
a) plasma membrane
b) axial filament
9. Which of the following bacteria are the most prevalent in the human gut?
10. Which of the following refers to photosynthesis performed by bacteria with the use of water as the donor of electrons?
11. Which of the following bacterial species is classified as high G+C gram-positive?
a) Corynebacterium diphtheriae
b) Staphylococcus aureus
c) Bacillus anthracis
d) Streptococcus pneumonia
12. The term “deeply branching” refers to which of the following?
a) the cellular shape of deeply branching bacteria
b) the position in the evolutionary tree of deeply branching bacteria
c) the ability of deeply branching bacteria to live in deep ocean waters
d) the pattern of growth in culture of deeply branching bacteria
13. Which of these deeply branching bacteria is considered a polyextremophile?
a) Aquifex pyrophilus
b) Deinococcus radiodurans
c) Staphylococcus aureus
d) Mycobacterium tuberculosis
14. Archaea and Bacteria are most similar in terms of their ________.
b) cell wall structure
d) unicellular structure
15. Which of the following is true of archaea that produce methane?
a) They reduce carbon dioxide in the presence of nitrogen.
b) They live in the most extreme environments.
c) They are always anaerobes.
d) They have been discovered on Mars.