1. The volatile oils are the complex mixture of?
A) mono- and sesquiterpenes as well as phenyl-propane derivatives.
B) mono- and diterpene alcohols and ethers.
C) sesquiterpenes and other aromatic compounds.
D) monoterpene acids and lactones.
2. Sesquiterpenes are formed of….in the plants.
B) stress compounds
C) colouring material
D) degraded products of triterpenes
3. What are known as balsams?
A) resins dissolved in volatile oil
B) a mixture of volatile oils with sesquiterpenes
C) resins dissolved in water
D) polysaccharide mixed with volatile oil
4. Saponin containing drugs are used as..
B) bitter tonic.
5. Alkaloids are naturally occurring compounds which contain ….in their molecules.
A) one or more N atom(s)
B) two heterocyclic rings
C) one C15 side chain on the benzene ring
D) one or more N atom(s) originated from amino acids
6. How to extract the alkaloids in mineral salt form from plant?
A) Heating with organic solvent.
B) Boiling with ammonium-hydroxide and water.
C) Shaking with water containing mineral acid.
D) Boiling with water and lead acetate.
7. The volatile oils consist of a mixture of..
A) oxygen free mono- and diterpenes.
B) aliphatic and cyclic mono- and triterpenes.
C) aliphatic and cyclic mono- and sesquiterpenes and phenyl-propane derivatives.
D) highly oxygenated mono- and diterpenes.
8. The iridoids are:
A) constituents of volatile oils.
B) starting unit of the tannin biogenesis.
C) precursor of biosynthesis of saponins.
D) precursors of the biogenesis of certain alkaloids.
9. What do you do for getting alkaloids in basis form from the plant material?
A) Adding some ammonium-hydroxide and water to the pulverised drug.
B) Making an extract by mineral acid and organic solvent.
C) Making an extract with some basis and organic solvent.
D) Adding to the powdered drug some mineral acid and water.
10. Morphin is separable from its side alkaloids because:
A) morphine has a piperidine ring.
B) morphine has two methoxy groups.
C) morphine has phenolic hydroxyl group while the side alkaloids have none.
D) morphine has no phenolic hydroxyl group while the side alkaloid has it.
11. Which is the right reagent for the detection of rancidity?
A) concentrated nitric acid
B) phloroglucinol dissolved in diluted HCl
D) phloroglucinol dissolved in ether and concentrated HCl
12. Choose right skeleton for Cinchona alkaloids.
A) cevan B) tropane
C) isoquinoline D) rubanol
13. Choose the right reagent for alkaloids.
14. How could be prepared a mucilage extract starting from Linseed?
A) After grinding some water is added to the seed and warm it.
B) The seed is covered with water without grinding and warming.
C) After grinding some alcohol is added to the seed.
D) Without grinding some alcohol is added to the seed.
15. Ergot is the………………….of the fungus Claviceps purpurea.
A) vegetative form
B) dried sclerotium
16. What is the difference between the chemical structure of cotton and starch?
A) Cotton consists of lines α-glucose molecules while the starch has branched β- glucose residue.
B) Cotton consists of unbranched β-glucose molecules the starch has also unbranched α- and β-glucose molecules.
C) Cotton is built up of glucose residues united by 1,4-β-D-glucose links, starch has branched and linear chains of 1,4-α-,and 1,6-α- D-glucose residue.
D) Both consist of branched and linear 1,2-β- D-glucose residues.
17. The haemolytic index shows:
A) the di- & sesquiterpene content of volatile oils
B) the saponin content of the drugs.
C) the steroid content of the drugs.
D) the aliphatic monoterpene content of the drugs.
18. Which is the right structure for the flavonoids of Silybum marianum?
A) dimer flavan-3,4-diol
B) monomer flavon-3-ol
D) simple flavanonol-glycoside
19. Cocaine is used as……………….in the officinal medicine.
A) narcotic B) emetic
C) sedative D) local anaesthetic
20. Choose the right test for identification of anthraquinones.
A) Marquis test B) Froehde test
C) Liebermann-Burchard test D) Borntraeger test
21. How to detect the procyanidins?
A) On heating with diluted NaOH procyanidines show green colour.
B) Procyanidins give yellow colour on concentrated nitric acid.
C) On heating with a mixture of cc. HCl and N BuOH procyanidines show red colour.
D) On heating with resorcinol procyanidins give bluish violet colour.
22. Anthraquinone content of drugs tested by
A) warming with glacial acetic acid giving red precipitate.
B) shaking the extract made by organic solvent with diluted ammonium-hydroxide the water phase gives red or orange colour.
C) extracting with water and precipitate with lead acetate showing blue colour.
D) making a water extract which shows green colour on sulphuric acid.
23. What is the right method for making assay for volatile oil content of drugs?
A) water-damp distillation
B) extraction of light petrol
C) distillation by Marcusson’s method
D) determination of loss on drying
24. Which is the right test for the cardioactive glycosides of Foxglove leaf?
B) Liebermann- Burchard
25. Which of the following compounds makes model for the synthesis of methylpsoralens?
26. How to take a sample of plant drug material according to the prescription of pharmacopoeia?
A) 1000g of drug is taken off the upper part of the container.
B) 100 or 200g drug has to be taken the side of the container.
C) The number of sample depends on the number of container (N) or square root of N (at higher N). The samples has to be taken from different parts of container and the amount of the sample must be sufficient for the further analysis.
D) Depends on the number of the container and volume of the sample.
27. Choose the right shape for the maize starch.
C) pentagon with a “V” form fission in the middle of the grain
28. Why can’t use for medical purpose Rheum raponticum instead of Rheum palmatum?
A) Because the emodin content of Rheum raponticum is too much.
B) Because the rhein content of the Rheum raponticum is too low.
C) Because the chrysophanol content of Rheum palmatum is higher than in case of Rheum raponticum.
D) Because the Rheum raponticum contains a stilben derivative which has undesirable hormon activity.
29. Which of the following compounds transforms to chamazulen on Waterdamp distillation?
- A) lavandulol
- B) farnezol
- C) matricine
- D) gossypol
30. Which compound makes model for the synthesis of petidin?
- A) psoralen
- B) cocaine
- C) hyoscyamine
- D) morphin
31. Which of the following drug(s) contain(s) citric acid in a large amount?
- A) Bearberry leaf
- B) Elder flower
- C) Herniariae herba
- D) Tamarindi fructus
32. How to get fixed oil for medical purpose?
A) by extraction with a cold organic solvent
B) by warm expression
C) by extraction with cold water
D) by cold expression
33. The cake of ricinus seed left after expression is unfit for use as a cattle food since it contains an extremely poisonous toxin known as………………………..
34. Which of the following alkaloids derived from lysine?
- A) emetin
- B) chelidonin
- C) cinchonidin
- D) lobelin
35. Which of these drugs contains inulin?
- A) Cichoriae radix
- B) Comfrey root
- C) Plantain shoot
- D) Foenigraeci semen
36. Hasis (hashish) consists …….. of Cannabis sativa.
A) gum of the male flowers
B) resin of the female flowers
C) gum of the male and female flowers
D) pressed juice of the leaves
37. What is Opium?
A) Latex exudate of the unriped incised capsules after air dried.
B) Dried wateric extract of the riped capsules.
C) Dried alcoholic extract of the unriped capsules.
D) Concentrated alcoholic extract of the poppy straw.
38. The common base skeleton of physiologically active ergoline alkaloids is:
A) isolysergic acid.
C) lysergic acid.
39. Codeine is:
A) monomethyl ether of morphine.
B) amide of apomorphine.
C) acetyl derivative of morphine.
D) dimethyl ether of papaverine.
40. Skeleton of the B-type procyanidines is:
41. Select the method prescribed for quantitative determination of anthraglycosides in Pharmacopoeia Hungarica Editio VII.:
B) high pressure liquid chromatography.
42. Select the compound prescribed for quantitative determination on the base of complex formation in Pharmacopoeia Hungarica Editio VII.:
A) bitter substance.
43. Which of the following physico-chemical characteristics is correct for mucilages?
B) specific colour
C) specific gravity
44. Poppy straw is the industrial raw material of morphine production because ………
A) poppy straw contains only morphine
B) poppy straw does not contain other alkaloids
C) poppy straw has the maximum morphine content
D) poppy straw is the chiepest available raw material
45. Definition of vegetable drugs in the Pharmacopoeia:
A) plant part used in medicine.
B) plant part containing the highest content of the bioactive/characteristic compound/s.
C) dried part of the medicinal plant.
D) plant part or its preparations described in the paragraphs of the Pharmacopoeia.
E) dried plant part used in medicine.
46. The whole in toto vegetable drugs of mild activity have to be rejected when…
A) it contains any toxic foreign matter (plant parts).
B) it contains foreign matter (plant parts) more than prescribed in the corresponding paragraph of the pharmacopoeia.
C) it contains any toxic foreign matter (plant parts) which can not be separated.
D) it contains any foreign matter (plant parts).
47. A vegetable drug is considered as one of pharmacopoeial quality, when:
A) It meets both the general requirements of the pharmacopoeia and the requirements of the corresponding paragraph in the pharmacopoeia.
B) it meets the requirements of the corresponding paragraph in the pharmacopoeia.
C) it meets the requirements of the national Standard I.
D) it meets the general requirements of the pharmacopoeia.
48. Which of the following statement is associated with the name of Janos KABAY?
A) Isolation of morphine.
B) Structure elucidation of morphine.
C) Industrial production of morphinanes from poppy straw.
D) Industrial production of morphinanes from opium.
49. Which of the following statement is associated with the name of Miklos BEKESSY?
A) Industrial production of essential oils by steam distillation.
B) Industrial production of poppy alkaloids.
C) Cultivation of ergot.
D) Isolation of morphine.
50. Whose name of the followings is associated with the discovery of morphine?
- A) Caventou
- B) Serturner
- C) Stoll
- D) Pelletier